Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The saga of Steve’s last run and shoulder continues...

I’ve decided to blog my comeback, a diary of sorts. It may be boring to many, but if you want the gory details, etc. They’ll be here.

It’s been 3 weeks now since my crash at the Fernie skimo race and in that time not a whole lot has happened. I still haven’t seen a nuerologist for my numb hand. There has been some slow progress on that front though. It was a small improvement one week out when I could actually squeeze toothpaste out of a tube. Then after 2 weeks I was able to muster up enough strength in that hand to pull up a zipper. Lately, typing hasn’t been too difficult and some feeling in my fingers has returned, although they’re still quite numb.

On Friday, a good family friend saw the prayer request at church and contacted  Deb & I  immediately. It turns out her dr specialty is nuerology and I think she kind of acts as a coordinator to Calgary nuerology services. In any case she took me on and got to work setting up an EMG conductivity test, gave me a couple perscriptions for pain and set up a doc that specializes in brachial plexus injuries.

I hope it comes soon, as I saw my sport doc today...the news is interesting. It seems I have not 1, but 2 significant tears in my rotator cuff (in addition to the 3rd small tear I already had). If I were to fall there wouldn’t be a whole lot holding that shoulder socket in. Not good news as I’m already nervous about the nerve damage I’ve sustained. Another dislocation and stretching of those nerves this time could easily permanently damage my nerves and ability to use my hand/arm.

So for now, I’m waiting on the nerve doc and another ultrasound to confirm the cuff tears. The good news is that my sport doc, Andy, b/c he works with national teams, is able to fast track a lot of surgical procedures, plus either of the 2 surgeons are friends and know me and my lifestyle and being a Bow Valley local, they usually rush us right in. So if my nerves cooperate I could conceivably have a shoulder surgery April/May? With a 6 week recovery, perhaps I could be running by June?

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I ordered some running shoes today.

No comments: