Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Endurance, Patience and Strength. 3 things I really need right now. Coincidentally, these 3 are mentioned in a Bible verse we looked at during the XC ski world cup pre-race chapel we had last week (Colossians 1.11).  Funny how I often address topics in small groups or speaking events on topics that I really need to personally learn myself. In this instance one of the athletes, when asked of great examples of these 3, mentioned his competitor wife (who was also there). Her setback list included being dropped multiple times from the Nat’l team, not getting named to an Olympic team even though she had qualified, a serious concussion injury, tearing the hamstring completely off the tendon, lyme disease.... wow! And she persevered through it all to earn a world championship medal last year.

I walked away resolving not to feel sorry for myself nor to give up.

Winston Churchill’s most famous speech ever came on October 29, 1941, when he visited Harrow School to hear the traditional songs he had sung there as a youth, as well as to speak to the students. When he was invited to give a speech, Churchill stood before the students and said,
"Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up."

Great words from a great man, who really didn’t hit his stride as a politician/statesman until his 70's
       

Of the 3 I initially mentioned, endurance, patience, strength... I need them. I’ve looked into the axillary nerve graft surgery that I’ll most certainly need. I need to wait another 2 months before they make the final evaluation. After the surgery I’ll be either in a hospital bed or my own with the arm totally immovable and flexed outward for a week. The arm will be in a sling for 4-6 weeks. It then takes around 3 months for the nerve to begin firing at all. 9 months for just a little strength and  1-2 years before you get all your strength back.

Even though I want to learn patience and endurance, I’m not rolling over. I’m trying real hard to train my body to compensate for no deltoid muscle. I do strength 2x per day and I’m noticing a difference. I’m going to try to start running even though the only arm swing I can do is hugging it close to my body and moving it laterally across my mid-section. I’ll be road biking soon, and I’ll probably be able to hammer, as I’ve been doing high intensity spin bike workouts 2-3x per week.

I’m volunteering this weekend at the Ken Jones Skimo nat’l champs. A race I did well in last year, hitting the podium. The first time on skis for me in 2 months. My plan is that my presence won’t lead to sadness at not competing, but stoke the fire and motivate me for a comeback next year.






No comments: